*The list of cases below is merely for our clients’ reference and should in no way be seen as a portrayal of the firm’s success rate.
Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. was founded by Julius H. Grey in the fall of 1976. Its present name dates from the mid-1980s, when Me Lynne-Marie Casgrain joined the firm. The team currently consists of 13 lawyers, all engaged in litigation.
Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. has frequently represented the individual against the institution – such as the government, employer, and professional body. Further, it is a firm that is constantly involved in legal education, the dissemination of information, and in societal discussions on legal and human rights questions.
From its early days, Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. has been involved in some of the leading human rights and Charter litigation in Quebec and in Canada. In particular, it brought several of the major language rights cases before the Supreme Court of Canada and one to the United Nations Human Rights Sub-Committee.
Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. has been involved in a number of leading cases in Administrative Law:
- The firm brought the case of Bendahmane v. Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration)  3 F.C. 16 (C.A.), in which the Federal Court firmly established the notion of legitimate expectation.
- Before the Supreme Court of Canada, Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. brought the case of Schavernoch v. Foreign Claims Commission  1 S.C.R. 1092.
- Before the Federal Court of Appeal it brought Gingras v. Canada  2 F.C. 734.
After the adoption of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the firm established many precedents under it as well as under the Quebec Charter. Notably, in the Supreme Court cases of:
- Libman v. Attorney General (Quebec),  3 S.C.R. 569 ;
- Syndicat Northcrest v. Amselem,  2 S.C.R. 551;
- Multani v. Commission Scolaire Marguerite‑Bourgeoys,  1 S.C.R. 256 ;
- R v. Advance Cutting & Coring Ltd.,  3 S.C.R.
At other levels of court, the firm has been involved in significant Charter litigation, notably:
- Montréal (Ville) v. Cabaret Sex Appeal inc., 1994 CanLII 5918 ;
- R v. Drapeau, 1999 CanLII 13182 (QC CA) ;
- R v. Archambault, 1995 CanLII 4814 (QC CA) ;
- Farinacci v. Québec (Procureur général), 2013 QCCA 1564 .
In the field of Criminal Law, Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. has represented interveners in the leading case of R. v. Smith, 2015 SCC 34 and has litigated the leading cases of:
- Javanmardi c. R.
- Kindler v. Canada,  2 SCR 779
In the field of Professional law, Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. has litigated the leading cases of:
- Wilson v. Filion,  R.J.Q. 1015
- Salomon c. Québec (Tribunal des professions), 2001 CanLII 20328,
- Bernstein v. Biron, 1993 CarswellQue 1938.
In the field of Labor and Employment Law, the firm has pled the following leading cases:
- Aksich v. Canadian Pacific Railway, 2006 QCCA 931
- Location de main-d’oeuvre Excellence inc. v. Québec (Commission de la construction), 2008 QCCA 999,
- Assimopoulos c. Stirk Manavopoulos, 2013 QCCA 1165.
In the field of Family Law, the following significant cases have been pled:
- Droit de la famille – 1673,  R.D.F. 15,
- R.P. v. R.C., 2011 SCC 65,
- (D.)v. M. (H.),  1 S.C.R. 328 ,
- (R.) v. T. (H.),  R.J.Q. 2303,
- Feldman c. Hoppenheim, 2005 QCCA 323.
In the field of Civil Law, Grey Casgrain s.e.n.c. has been involved in the following important cases:
- Ranger v. Penterman, 2013 QCCA 729 and
- Srivastava v. Hindu Mission of Canada (Quebec) Inc, 2001 R.J.Q. 1111 among many others.
In the field of Immigration, among others, the firm pled:
- Perez c. Le Ministre de la citoyenneté et de l’immigration, 2015 CF 1100
- Ransanz v. The Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, 2015 FC 1109
In the field of Language Rights, the firm has been involved in the following cases:
- Forget v. Quebec (Attorney General),  2 SCR 90
- A.G. (Que.) v. Quebec Protestant School Boards,  2 SCR 66
- Ville de Rosemère c. L’office de la langue française
In the field of Medical Law, the firm has been involved in the following cases:
- Mobayed v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, 581/2001
- Mobayed c. Procureur général du Québec, 2010 QCCA 2419
- Duchoeny c. RAMQ, TAQ, 18 sept. 2003
In the field of Class Action Suits, among others, the firm pled:
The office of Grey Casgrain, s.e.n.c. has pled many other importance cases of procedure in the fields of Aboriginal Law, Carceral Law, etc.